Cycling Training: How to Ride Faster, Stronger, and Improve Your Fitness with Intervals

Cycling is a popular form of exercise that can provide numerous benefits for your physical health and well-being.

By engaging in regular cycling training, you can

  • Improve your cardiovascular fitness
  • Build strength and endurance, and
  • Even aid in weight loss.

In this article, we’ll explore various aspects of cycling training, including interval workouts, weight loss benefits, and the muscles toned by cycling.

Interval Training for Cycling

Interval training involves alternating periods of high-intensity effort with active recovery periods. For cyclists, this can mean shorter, high-intensity efforts during a ride or workout.

Interval training is an effective way to improve cycling performance by increasing power and endurance on the bike. By challenging your body with high-intensity efforts, you can train your muscles to work harder and recover faster, leading to improvements in your overall fitness.

There are several different types of interval workouts that you can incorporate into your cycling training. For example

  • Tabata intervals involve 20 seconds of all-out effort followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated for four minutes
  • Another type of interval workout is the pyramid, which involves gradually increasing and decreasing the intensity of your efforts
  • Fartlek intervals, on the other hand, involve varying the intensity and duration of your efforts throughout a ride or workout.

Regardless of the specific interval workout you choose, it’s important to incorporate them into your cycling training regularly to see improvements in your performance.

Basic cycling intervals typically involve shorter, high-intensity efforts followed by active recovery periods. For example, you could perform a series of 30-second sprints followed by two minutes of easy riding, repeating the cycle for a set number of times or duration.

By including interval training in your cycling routine, you can become a stronger, more efficient cyclist.

The 75 Rule in Cycling Training

The 75 rule is a concept in cycling training that suggests that 75% of your total riding time should be at an easy, conversational pace, while the remaining 25% should be at a higher intensity. This rule is important because it emphasizes the importance of balancing high-intensity efforts with recovery and rest periods.

By spending the majority of your riding time at an easy pace, you can build your endurance and aerobic capacity without overtaxing your muscles.

The 75 rule also helps to prevent burnout and injury by providing adequate rest and recovery periods. By incorporating rest days and easy riding into your cycling routine, you can avoid the negative effects of overtraining, such as fatigue, decreased performance, and increased risk of injury.

It’s important to listen to your body and adjust your training intensity and volume as needed. Everyone’s body is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. By paying attention to your body’s signals and adjusting your training accordingly, you can ensure that you’re making progress towards your cycling goals in a safe and effective way.


In conclusion, incorporating interval training and following the 75 rule can be highly beneficial for improving your cycling performance and fitness. By challenging yourself with high-intensity intervals and maintaining a consistent effort level throughout your training rides, you can push your body to adapt to higher levels of exertion and build the endurance necessary for longer rides and races.

Whether you’re a seasoned cyclist or just starting out, incorporating these principles into your training routine can help you to ride faster, stronger, and with greater efficiency.

Again(!) remember to always listen to your body and adjust your training as needed to avoid burnout or injury.

With dedication and a commitment to these principles, you can achieve your cycling goals and enjoy the many physical and mental benefits of this challenging and rewarding sport.